Our Commitment to Our History
Established in 1931, through the generous donation of their mansion by the Younker family, what is now The Iowa Jewish Senior Life Center started out as a home without a name. Its purpose: to house eleven elderly men of the Des Moines Jewish Community. With the passing of the years, and as the needs of the Residents changed, so too did The Home. An adjacent house was purchased to meet expansion needs, and as the needs of Residents changed from simple housing to a need for nursing care, plans were developed to build a new facility with enhanced nursing care capabilities.
In 1961, the Iowa Jewish Home opened on Pleasant Street to serve the skilled nursing care needs of Iowa’s senior population. No longer nameless, The Home prided itself on providing exceptional health care to its Residents.
In 1987, with the help of our Community, $6.5 million in gifts was raised to build The Iowa Jewish Senior Life Center at its present location. With specializations in long-term nursing and rehabilitative services, The Life Center strives to bring the best in health care to its Residents.
Funded entirely by community donations, in 2006, The Life Center opened a 14-bed Memory Care Unit to better serve the needs of those afflicted with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. With a high staff-to-resident ratio, this facility features an Activity Boulevard providing space for walking and other stimulating pursuits.
Always open to persons of all faiths, The Life Center has continued its quest to provide dedicated, personalized health care.